Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can see the IP address of the connecting computer. I am just curious as to whether I can get the username of the computer that is connecting into the network?

share|improve this question
Do you mean the username the ssh'd user is using on your computer? The name of the computer they're using? Or the username they're logged in as on the remote computer? – Kevin Nov 24 '11 at 4:35
@Kevin I mean the username they're logged in as on the remote computer. – wrongusername Nov 24 '11 at 5:08
Then no, you can't find that out. – Kevin Nov 24 '11 at 5:29
@Kevin Okay, thanks for the info! – wrongusername Nov 24 '11 at 5:33
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Do you mean you want to get the hostname?

If so, for the public IP, use: nslookup, host, dig, ...

$ nslookup

Non-authoritative answer:   name =

Authoritative answers can be found from:

For the private IP, use: nbtscan, nmblookup, ...

$ nbtscan
Doing NBT name scan for addresses from

IP address       NetBIOS Name     Server    User             MAC address      
------------------------------------------------------------------------------    VC-307           <server>  <unknown>        f4-6d-04-cd-0c-8e
share|improve this answer
Hm, thanks, this is helpful but I would really like the username on the remote computer? – wrongusername Nov 24 '11 at 5:09
You can't. What is your final goal? – quanta Nov 24 '11 at 5:15

As stated earlier, you can get the systems involved, but not the specific usernames involved just by a network scan. If you collected information from all the systems' syslogs (via a central logger) you could get the information of the usernames on the destination machines but NOT the username on the source machine.

share|improve this answer

Like it's been stated before; unless the connecting systems are under your jurisdiction, you can't.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.