Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have VM with IP address how do I change the IP address to something else for e.g. ? I have pinged to and there is no such server in the network. Is there any other check necessary?

When I searched, I found that ifconfig and ip addr commands can be used for this. But I do not see how to use them.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by quanta, mdpc, EEAA, Ward, rnxrx Oct 26 '12 at 1:06

Questions on Server Fault are expected to relate to server, networking, or related infrastructure administration within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 4 down vote accepted

What OS and VM are you using? If you aren't adding a new IP and only updating the I'd just edit one of the two files depending if you are using a Debian flavored OS or a Redhat based OS

With Debian based (e.g., Ubuntu, Debian, Xandros, Mint) the change the settings in /etc/network/interfaces followed by:

service networking restart

RedHat based (e.g., Fedora, RHEL, CentOS) then you'd update /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and then run

service network restart

Not sure if this is can even be updated outside of the OS. With xenserver I always just update in the OS.

As far as other things you would check it would depend on what subnet are on. I'm guessing since this is in RFC1918 space you are probably on and so you'd be able to add it if no one else was using it.

share|improve this answer

you should check in the VM program, on what status the Network card is, there are NAT in which is using DHCP, so it is more problematic to change the IP.

but nothing is preventing you to try what @Glen has suggested to you.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.