I'm trying to migrate various services from a physical Debian Squeeze box to a number of para-virtualised Xen machines. This is my first venture into Xen, so I'm planning on doing this step by step:
- Install a clean Xen + Debian Squeeze Dom0 on to the box
- Make sure I can install and run new DomUs (xen-tools)
- Convert to original physical install (called Kowalski) to a DomU
- Move services from Kowalski to new DomUs, until Kowalski isn't doing anything any more.
- Retire Kowalski
Steps 1 and 2 have gone fine. I'm having trouble on 3.
- Copied the old Physical partitions to LVM logical volumes
- Created a kowalski.cfg for Xen that maps these LVs to xvda devices
- Edited the fstab to use the xvda devices.
It boots, but during the start-up scripts eventually hangs with init reporting that 'T0' is re-spawning too quickly so it's killing it.
Any suggestions on debug techniques? what I might have missed?
As I say, this is my first venture into Xen and I'm finding it difficult to get a handle on what's going wrong.