Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

experts and pros... I would like to "migrate" or "merge" an account on my Windows XP computer to/with the Admin account, till now unactivated. The reason I don't want to simply activate and copy the stuff is because I use very specific applications and pathes that I would like to preserve the way they are. Thanks for your help!

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I have used "User Profile Wizard". It works fine.

share|improve this answer
I just used it. Simple and good, just the way I like a software... Thanks. – waszkiewicz Jul 1 '09 at 12:04

Maybe NTFS junction points or hardlinks will do the trick here 's a gui tool for that purpose: hardlinkshell utility

share|improve this answer
Ok, I'm trying it right away. It looks like it's working fine... for now! Thanks. – waszkiewicz Jun 30 '09 at 8:50

Windows already has a solution for you. In System properties you can simply copy a profile to another account.

share|improve this answer

I have used the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard before. Works about as good as Microsoft could manage (works great 90% of the time). Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

share|improve this answer
No, it's actually on the same machine. I think the Windows tool can only deal with two separate Windows installation, am I wrong? – waszkiewicz Jul 1 '09 at 10:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.