We're running an ASP.NET WebApplication that relies on the ASP.NET State Service to handle the session information. We currently have 2 servers that are suffering from an unknown problem that causes the ASP.NET State service to crash and not restart.
We have the same operating system on these systems (Windows Server 2008 R2). The application can be running for days without a single error/problem, and out of the blue this service crashes and does not restart. We have checked the settings on this service and it should restart when it goes down according the settings.
Currently we have written a small service that monitors this ASP.NET State service and restarts it when it goes down. So far this is working and the service keeps running, but we're not able to determine as to WHY the service is crashing in the first place.
- WindowsEventLog only mentions the service going down
- The Service is not beeing restarted by Windows
- Our own logging contains no errors/stacktraces either of exceptions
- Google yields no results to this problem or other occurances
- Both suffering systems are identical, even the non-suffering ones
- All Windows Updates are installed
Has anyone encountered something similar before? If so, what was the cause? What should we look at to determine this problem, because our entire team is currently clueless as to what is causing this mess.