Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a web server at home. My IP address changes very often. My domain registrar is GoDaddy, so DynDNS does not work because GoDaddy only allows IP addresses for the A DNS Record. I can set a CNAME for that points to, but I can't set an A Record.

The only solution that I can come up with is to buy a web hosting service and "proxy" the traffic to my IP. I'd redirect all traffic from* to index.php (or a script using another language) using .htaccess. Then I'd use index.php to fetch the content from my server at home.

Are there better ways to implement this?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Shane Madden, Ward, Khaled, RobM, gekkz Dec 11 '11 at 9:05

Questions on Server Fault are expected to relate to server, networking, or related infrastructure administration within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Solution to what? You forgot to state what the problem is. What's wrong with making a CNAME for your dyndns name? – David Schwartz Dec 11 '11 at 4:10

The fact that your registrar is GoDaddy doesn't mean you have to use GoDaddy's nameservers.

You can host your domain with any DNS hosting provider, just in registrar control panel you change nameservers from godaddy's to those of your DNS hosting, like Dyn or whatever you like (the biased list may be helpful).

share|improve this answer

A records are IPv4 addresses, that's where the A comes from. You should set up a CNAME record.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.