I'm currently in the middle of a process to specify and design a new server environment for graphics and video rendering.
We know we want to use blades, and we're pretty sure of our vendor decisions.
We've got one massive problem, and that's power.
At the moment, we're looking at getting more 3 phase power into the building. One idea that I've heard of, is using 48v DC to power the servers and networking equipment.
Questions are these:
- What are the advantages of using 48V DC over 230VAC or 415VAC 3phase. (We're in the UK.)
- Do all of the decent (Dell, HP, IBM, Cisco)/most servers and network vendors support 48V DC power supplies?
- Can we expect this to be more expensive in hardware costs?
- Will this actually be more power efficient than using single/threephase, if all a PSU is gonna do is downcovert to +/- 12v/5v/3.3v.
- Can we expect lower cooling demands because of lower amount of powerloss in downconversion from 230v.