I have synced the time of my server to time.nist.gov. This server communicates with a client’s server which is also synced with time.nist.gov.
After noting that we seemed to be out of sync with the time server even after explicit syncing, I set up an hourly batch job to see if my hypothesis is correct and what is our time difference.
I set up the job on Friday and it has already checked the time 50 times. When I first checked on Friday,
w32tm utility showed a difference of less than 10 milliseconds. The last check, a couple of hours ago, shows a difference of 20 second.
There have also been 9 cases (in 50 attempts) of
error: 0x800705B4 which is a timeout error. The time difference seems to be increasing at the rate of 1 second every hours since Friday, 1/6/2012 5:35 PM EST
I have a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition set up as a VMWare VM, the timezone is EST. Here’s my
DOS command that log the sync difference:
w32tm /stripchart /computer:time.nist.gov /samples:1 /dataonly >> D:\timedump.txt
Here are the last 4 entries:
Tracking time.nist.gov [18.104.22.168]. Collecting 1 samples. The current time is 1/8/2012 10:35:00 AM (local time). 10:35:00, +20.3387625s Tracking time.nist.gov [22.214.171.124]. Collecting 1 samples. The current time is 1/8/2012 11:35:00 AM (local time). 11:35:00, +20.4854414s Tracking time.nist.gov [126.96.36.199]. Collecting 1 samples. The current time is 1/8/2012 12:35:00 PM (local time). 12:35:00, +20.6239407s Tracking time.nist.gov [188.8.131.52]. Collecting 1 samples. The current time is 1/8/2012 1:35:00 PM (local time). 13:35:00, error: 0x800705B4