I'm having an issue with my ESXi 4.1 hosts losing the datastore with FC SAN after a power outage. All 3 hosts disconnect so it's definitely a SAN issue. I've tried to resolve the issue on the SAN side with the SAN software support and Adaptec hardware support. No luck there.
So I'm stuck with a SAN that will randomly disconnect the volume. I need to get the virtual machines (VMDK files) from the datastore. The problem is I can only get 5-20% before the data store disconnects.
I have backups that are slightly older that I can use to replicate the VMDK differences to.
What has not worked so far:
- Powering up the VMs, will boot up for 5-15 minutes then freeze
- vCenter migrate or clone of VM, will fail after similar period of time
- vCenter copy/paste of VMDK. Was able to get one 30GB VMDK and no luck after that.
- vMware Data Recovery. Fails at low %, can't resume, so next backup starts from begining.
- Veeam Backup & Recovery. Same as above, no resume function.
If I can just find a backup solution that will resume from the failed spot that would solve my issue. Anyone have any ideas that I could try?
The SAN is Open-E DSS 6 running on a Supermicro 24 drive enclosure with 4 port Qlogic FC. Adaptec 52445 RAID card.