Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Possible Duplicate:
What hardware do I need to add a backup internet connection?

I have a office LAN providing internet access to several workstations. Each workstation is basically connected to the hub, which is connected to the router through ethernet.

Wat I need to do is to hire another provider and enable any method to switch user's internet connection if the active connection goes down.

How can I do this?

share|improve this question

migrated from stackoverflow.com Jan 30 '12 at 3:39

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

marked as duplicate by Skyhawk, kce, Ward, John Gardeniers, MadHatter Jan 30 '12 at 13:41

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Questions on Stack Overflow are expected to relate to programming in some way. –  esqew Jan 30 '12 at 2:28
Then, where do u recommend me to ask such a question,sorry no idea. –  user5793 Jan 30 '12 at 2:32
The answer to this question also depends on the hardware you are using. –  esqew Jan 30 '12 at 2:56
A simple router, I need to know which hardware should I use, no idea... to have it in failover –  user5793 Jan 30 '12 at 3:12

1 Answer 1

All you need is a router that supports multi-WAN failover. There are many of them on the market - do some research and choose one. I won't get into product recommendations here since that is off-topic.

Alternatively, you can set up a pfSense box and use that as your router - it supports multi-WAN very well and is free (if you have some spare hardware to run it on).

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.