Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Office network failover?

I have a office LAN providing internet access to several workstations, each workstation it is basically connected to the hub that it is connected to the router through ethernet.

What I need to do is to hire another provider and enable any method to switch users internet connection if the active connection go down, but how can I do it? any suggestion?no idea, I guess I should use any specific router or hardware for the failover, anyway I don't know where to start.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by EEAA, Skyhawk, Ward, pauska, Sam Jan 30 '12 at 7:57

This question was marked as an exact duplicate of an existing question.

Your question already got migrated here from StackOverflow - no need to re-post like this. – EEAA Jan 30 '12 at 3:57
Whow. You still have hubs? where did you find them? Garbage bin? Not seen hubs for many many years - ever since switches are sooo cheap now. – TomTom Jan 30 '12 at 6:23

You need either a router/firewall that capable of detecting failure on one of the lines and switch users to the other one or workstation with Linux on it acting as the same router/firewall.

share|improve this answer

You need to find a dual WAN router. If you google that, you will find a lot of options that allow for failover for a reasonable price.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.