I am running SQL Server 2008 R2, and I am having an issue with my local server instance. At first, this only happened occasionally and seemingly completely randomly, but was fixed when I restarted my computer. Now, however, it's a constant problem.
When I try to connect to my server through the management studio, I am unable to connect with the message saying that the "server cannot be found or is not accessible". Sometimes when this happens, I am able to open my Sql Server Configuration Manager, and can quickly find and start my local instance, and I'm good to go. However, lately, I have frequently been unable to find the server, and instead of showing a number of items in the list, I am only seeing two Sql Server Integration Services items.
When I check in the Services.msc, I can find the correct service, SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER2008), but when I try to start it, I get an error stating that "Windows could not start the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER2008) service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." As a side note: I am also getting this same error when trying to start the Virtual Disk service, and can not access my Disk Management.
When I try to start the service from the command line (by going to the folder
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER2008\MSSQL\Binn and executing
sqlservr.exe), it eventually causes an error stating that SQL Server Windows NT - 64 Bit has stopped working, and gives me the option to close the program. Checking the event viewer log yields this:
Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\System32\netapi32.dll for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program SQL Server Windows NT - 64 Bit because of this error.
Program: SQL Server Windows NT - 64 Bit File: C:\Windows\System32\netapi32.dll
The error value is listed in the Additional Data section. User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and - It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted. - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.
Additional Data Error value: C0000185 Disk type: 3
I have verified that the file
C:\Windows\System32\netapi32.dll exists on the drive, file version
6.1.7601.17514. I have run
sfc /SCANNOW and it returned that it did not find any integrity violations. I have also checked the drive for malware and viruses doing a full system scan with both Malwarebytes and Norton Antivirus.
Obviously I'd rather not have to reinstall SQL Server or worse, format the drive and reinstall everything. I am also in the unfortunate situation of not having my windows 7 cd. Please help!