What is the procedure for dumping a VirtualBox system? Note that this is not migrating the guest OS from hardware to virtualization or anything else mentioned by Googling "migrate virtualbox". I mean:
- Moving all guest data (virtual drives, snapshots, etc) onto external media or remote storage
- Being able to confidently and completely delete that data from my system
- From a different system with VirtualBox installed, being able to fetch the guest data, write it to the local storage, and boot it up.
I suspect that the backing up part is straightforward enough; but the restoration may require manual edits of the XML config files via some well-defined process. I'd love to know that process.
- I am on Linux, but a platform-independent solution would be great too. Hell, even a Windows solution would be a decent starting point.
- If the solution supports dissimilar installation and data directories, that would be cool. But if not, I can accept the requirement that both systems use identical paths for VirtualBox directories
- Support for dissimilar host hardware (specifically Ethernet) might be nice, but is not terribly important for me.
Well, any ideas? I will upvote partial solutions which point me in the right direction.