hi i'm running a win 2003 server and i need to set up a dns reverse lookup pointer for my mailserver as i'm getting rejected by a certain provider. i created a new reverse lookup zone in the dns manager (default settings) but it seems like there's something wrong with the pointer.
here's what i did:
- in reverse look up zones -> right click -> new zone
- selected primary zone
- network id: added my machine's ip address (the same one which i'm using for connecting via remote desktop)
- selected "do not allow dynamic updates" -> finish
then i added a pointer:
- right click on my new zone
- new pointer (PTR)
- host name: entered my (changed) hostname mail.myserver.com -> done
- right click on my zone -> update server data file + reload
now when testing the dnslookup i keep getting sxxxxxxx.onlinehome-server.info instead of mail.myserver.com :(((
any ideas whats wrong?