We have a small executable that does 2 things:
- Read a value from the Registry
- Launch a URL in Internet Explorer
I don't have access to the source for the exe to see what it is doing exactly. Recently, there has been an intermittent issue when launching this application on a Citrix XenApp 5 Windows Server 2003 desktop session (from a Windows XP client)... instead of launching the URL within a few seconds, it takes between 1 and 3 minutes.
- The exe appears to be idle during this time in terms of resources (uses some CPU every few seconds)
- It doesn't appear to be related to the number of clients on the Citrix desktop (it can happen with 2 users or 10)
- Other exe's can be loaded without an issue
- Creating a new session on the same Citrix desktop sometimes resolves the issue
- Attaching Process Monitor to the exe causes the application to take over 20 minutes to launch the URL
- The issue has not yet been observed running the exe on laptop, so it seems related to Citrix
I'm looking for ideas on what might be causing this, and what other tests can be done to narrow down potential causes. One thing I still want to test is whether or not it affects all active sessions on the desktop at the same time, or if it is per session.