I've got a problem with Gmail.
It started after one of our trojan infected PCs sent spam for one day from our IP address.
We've fixed the problem, but we got into 3 black lists. We've fixed that, too. But still every time we send an email to Gmail the message is rejected:
So I've checked Google Bulk Sender's guide once again and found an error in our SPF record and fixed it. Google says everything should become fine after some time, but this doesn't happen. 3 weeks already passed but we still can't send emails to Gmail.
Our MX setup is a bit complex, but not too much: We have a domain name delo-company.com, it has it's own mail @delo-company.com (this one is fine, but the problems are with sub-domain name corp.delo-company.com).
Delo-company.com domain has several DNS records for the subdomain:
corp A 184.108.40.206 corp MX 20 corp.delo-company.com corp.delo-company.com TXT "v=spf1 ip4:220.127.116.11 ~all"
(I set ~all for testing purposes only, it was -all before that)
These records are for our corporate Exchange 2003 server at 18.104.22.168. Its LAN name is s2.corp.delo-company.com so its HELO/EHLO greetings are also s2.corp.delo-company.com.
To pass EHLO check we've also created some records in delo-company.com's DNS:
s2.corp A 22.214.171.124 s2.corp.delo-company.com TXT "v=spf1 ip4:126.96.36.199 ~all"
As I understand SPF verifications should be passed in this way: Out server s2 connects to MX of the recepient (Rcp.MX): EHLO s2.corp.delo-company.com Rcp.MX says Ok, and makes SPF check of HELO/EHLO. It does NSlookup for s2.corp.delo-company.com and gets the above DNS-records. TXT records says that s2.corp.delo-company.com should be only from IP 188.8.131.52. So it should be passed.
Then our s2 server says RCPT FROM: Rcp.MX` server checks it, too. The values are the same so they should also be positive.
Maybe there is also a rDNS check, but I'm not sure what is checked HELO or RCPT FROM.
Our PTR record for 184.108.40.206 is:
220.127.116.11.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN PTR s2.corp.delo-company.com.
To me everything looks fine, but anyway all emails are rejected by Gmail.
So, I've checked MXtoolbox.com - it says everything is fine, I passed http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html Python check, I did 25port.com email test. It's fine, too:
Return-Path: <email@example.com> Received: from s2.corp.delo-company.com (18.104.22.168) by verifier.port25.com id ha45na11u9cs for <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:03:21 -0500 (envelope-from <email@example.com>) Authentication-Results: verifier.port25.com; spf=pass firstname.lastname@example.org Authentication-Results: verifier.port25.com; domainkeys=neutral (message not signed) header.Fromemail@example.com Authentication-Results: verifier.port25.com; dkim=neutral (message not signed) Authentication-Results: verifier.port25.com; sender-id=pass header.Fromfirstname.lastname@example.org Content-class: urn:content-classes:message MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01CCF89E.BE02A069" Subject: test Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 21:03:15 +0300 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5 Message-ID: <4C9EB1DB67831A428B2E14052F4A418707E1FF@s2.corp.delo-company.com> X-MS-Has-Attach: X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: Thread-Topic: test Thread-Index: Acz4jS34oznvbyFQR4S5rXsNQFvTdg== From: =?koi8-r?B?89XQ0tXOwMsg8MHXxcw=?= <email@example.com> To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I also checked with email@example.com, but it FAILs all the time, no matter which SPF records I make:
<s2.corp.delo-company.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <firstname.lastname@example.org>: Recipient address rejected: SPF Tests: Mail-From Result="softfail": Mail From="email@example.com" HELO name="s2.corp.delo-company.com" HELO Result="softfail" Remote IP="22.214.171.124">
I've filled Gmail form twice, but nothing happens.
We do not send spam, only emails for our clients. 2 or 3 times we did mass emails (like New Year Greetings and sales promos) from corp.delo-company.com addresses, but they where all complying to Gmail Bulk Sender's Guide (I mean SPF, Open Relays, Precedence: Bulk and Unsubscribe tags). So, this should be not a problem.
Please, help me. What am I doing wrong?
I also tried to send email from that server manually via telnet and everything is fine. Here is what I type:
220 mx.google.com ESMTP g15si4811326anb.170 HELO s2.corp.delo-company.com 250 mx.google.com at your service MAIL FROM: <firstname.lastname@example.org> 250 2.1.0 OK g15si4811326anb.170 RCPT TO: <email@example.com> 250 2.1.5 OK g15si4811326anb.170 DATA 354 Go ahead g15si4811326anb.170 From: firstname.lastname@example.org To: Pavel <email@example.com> Subject: Test 28 This is telnet test . 250 2.0.0 OK 1330795021 g15si4811326anb.170 QUIT 221 2.0.0 closing connection g15si4811326anb.170
And this is what I get:
Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org Received: by 10.227.132.73 with SMTP id a9csp96864wbt; Sat, 3 Mar 2012 09:17:02 -0800 (PST) Received: by 10.101.128.12 with SMTP id f12mr4837125ann.49.1330795021572; Sat, 03 Mar 2012 09:17:01 -0800 (PST) Return-Path: <email@example.com> Received: from s2.corp.delo-company.com (s2.corp.delo-company.com. [126.96.36.199]) by mx.google.com with SMTP id g15si4811326anb.170.2012.03.03.09.15.59; Sat, 03 Mar 2012 09:17:00 -0800 (PST) Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of firstname.lastname@example.org designates 188.8.131.52 as permitted sender) client-ip=184.108.40.206; Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of email@example.com designates 220.127.116.11 as permitted sender) firstname.lastname@example.org Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 09:17:00 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <4f52520c.0f53640a.77bf.5626SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.google.com> From: email@example.com To: Pavel <firstname.lastname@example.org> Subject: Test 28 This is telnet test