I just got a "Premium EV SSL Certificate" form GoDaddy.com. Apparently as of 8 months ago GoDaddy doesn't provide Class 3 Certificates. (http://support.godaddy.com/groups/go-daddy-customers/forum/topic/what-class-is-my-cert/) They also metntioned the use of certificates to be:
Class 1 for individuals, intended for email.
Class 2 for organizations, for which proof of identity is required.
Class 3 for servers and software signing, for which independent verification and checking of identity and authority is done by the issuing certificate authority.
Class 4 for online business transactions between companies.
Class 5 for private organizations or governmental security
- Isn't EV certificate validation the same as a Class 3 validation? Why are EV certificates not just class 3?
- Do people use Class 4 Certificates? Technically we use our certificate for a B to B SOAP. Which would fall under Class 4. Is a class 4 really needed?
- Where is a list of CA's and the certificates that they issue?
- Since it boils down to encryption is there any major difference between certificates besides validation that you say you are who you are?
- What determines if a CA can give out Class 2 vs Class 3 and Class4 Certificates?