I am looking to set up a VPN and DMZ solution for a small business. Here is some background and some of their requirements:
- The is a small business with maybe a dozen servers and another half-dozen workstations. It provides a public web application with a database backend. Cost is a big factor as is a solution that is easy to set up and maintain.
- 2 physical locations need to be linked via a site-to-site VPN
- Remote access must be provided via client-to-site VPN for out-of-state contractors (5 or fewer most likely)
- VPN clients for (3) above need to run on Windows (XP and Win7) and Linux (Ubuntu)
- A DMZ will be required at each of the two physical locations to house the web application servers.
- Any solution must be implemented and maintained by people who are fairly competent with systems administration but who are not networking experts.
- I want to avoid any PC-based solutions like OpenVPN. Nothing against OpenVPN or similar solutions, I just want to keep it simple with an appliance of some sort.
I was looking at low cost devices like a couple of CISCO RV042s since it seems to provide everything I need out of the box. I'm not sure if I'm going too cheap however so I'm looking for a sanity check. Is this a decent solution for a small business or should I be looking at other solutions?