I have a laptop running hostapd, phpd, and mysql. This laptop uses an Ethernet connection to connect to the internet and acts as a wireless access point for my workplace's wifi devices. After installing some software and reconnecting my Ethernet elsewhere, my "em1" device is no longer present and wirelessly connected devices can no longer reach the internet.
The software I recently installed is: pptp, pptpd, and updated some fedora libraries. I have also recently moved my desk and laptop to another location and thus had to reconnect the Ethernet elsewhere.
Wifi devices no longer have access to the internet. Wirelessly connected devices are able to successfully log into the laptop, showing full strength, correct SSID, and uses the proper password. However, when I tried to connect to a site like google, the request times out.
The device "em1" also no longer appears on my machine. Running:
# ifup em1
will give me the following output:
ERROR : [/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth] Device em1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization. And running:
# dhclient em1
has the following output:
Cannot find device "em1"
When I run
# dmesg|grep renamed, I get the following:
renamed network interface eth0 to p4p1. I've tried to connect to the internet through p4p1 directly from the laptop and was successful. However, my wireless devices connected to my laptop are not able to connect to the internet.
I have uninstalled pptp and pptpd using
# yum erase ... but the problem still persists.
To install pptp I used:
# yum install pptp
To install pptpd I did the following:
# rpm -Uvh http://poptop.sourceforge.net/yum/stable/fc15/pptp-release-current.noarch.rpm # yum install pptpd
To update my fedora libraries I used:
# yum check-update # yum update
# route produces the following results:
Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface default 10.11.200.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 p4p1 10.11.200.0 * 255.255.252.0 U 0 0 0 p4p1 172.16.100.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0