For those of you who still not tired of "XYZ for sysadmin" questions: This subject is bothering me for a long time.
I had number of problems selecting notebook for job. For example:
- Notebook vs Netbook is the real problem too. First has more comfortable keyboard and bigger screen and almost always faster. Second is smaller and easier to carry, but don't have CD/DVD-RW;
- 14"/15"/17" screen. Don't see winner here. 2-3 more xterms/windows on one screen at cost of 1-2 more kg;
- Number of extension ports is essential I think. New Mac Air is good, but c'mon: no LAN and two USB ports vs LAN and one USB. Also, as sysadmin I really need COM port to setup network equipment, but where can you find notebook with COM port in 2012? Problem was solved by buying USB-COM cable, but still have problems with drivers in some OSes;
So here goes my questions:
- What you think is good notebook for sysadmin? May be you can list specific models;
- What hardware extensions(i.e. USB devices) you think should be added to "sysadmin must-have" list;