How do you handle the storage of passwords that, by nature of their usage, you can't expect administrators to memorize? Such as:
- Administrator/root password when everyone logs on using their own account with administrator rights
- Service account passwords that are only set during configuration, e.g. SqlServerAgent, SharePointSearchService, etc.
- Web registrations for an entire company, e.g. Google Webmaster Tools, GoDaddy/VeriSign, MSDN, etc.
I certainly don't want to re-use a single password for so many different areas. Options we've considered:
- Encrypted file on network share
- Shared KeePass database
- Password protected Wiki
- Single base password with small modification for each area
This comes to mind as I try to install a password protected PFX file from home with the one-time use password stored in a notebook in my locked desk at work.