Our router began crashing 6 weeks ago. We put it down to our DSL provider and then to power outages that seemed to coincide. But the crashes increased in regularity and then last Friday our router crashed maybe 10 times in the one day. And we still don't know why. When the router crashes it becomes unpingable (internally or externally) yet the router lights flicker on just like they should. Since black Friday we have
- updated router firmware to latest version
- swapped the router for an identical model
- rolled back all recent edits to router configuration to a happier time
- eliminated the DSL lines as the issue
- ensured that our AV Eset Nod32 is up to date on all clients
- removed wireless access for all
The crashes have stabilized somewhat in that they now happen every 48 hours or so. We are syslogging router output but have found nothing, so far.
The router is a Zyxel P600 series, model: P-661HW-D1. We have a vpn with port forwarding and some firewall rules. Clients are xp, vista & win 7. Why are these crashes happening and how can we get to the bottom of it?