Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to move existing Documents and Settings folder to a new drive, and also make the new location a default for all of the users profiles, so from now on, new location is where files are created. I am using Windows 2003 SP2.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

We have looked at this before as well... We found alot of issues with doing this. Alot of programs (poorly developed ones) always look at the %systemdrive%\documents and settings directory for users. If you end up going down the route of moving your user profiles, be prepared for unexpected issues later on.

share|improve this answer
Yep, I agree to stay away from this route if possible - unless you have a healthy testing system in place already. – Kara Marfia Jul 7 '09 at 17:06

A little complicated after an installation of Windows.

You need to go to the registry and change all references to the documents and settings folder.


Hope this helps

share|improve this answer

Another option would be to look at groups policy to redirect My Documents etc to another area, be it a mapped network drive or to a users home drive...

there is a lot in group policies...not sure if this xls sheet from MS will help > Here <

and > Here < is another example of folder redirect using policies

I don't use 2003 so I can not give any self examples I'm afraid

Hope that helps

share|improve this answer
+1 for mentioning policies and Folder Redirection – Izzy Jul 7 '09 at 15:00

Probably the easiest thing to do is right click on "My Documents"->Properties. Then go into the Location tab and change its location... Once this is done, it will be the default for that user (NOTE: You may have to do it for all users, if you want it done automatically for new users, then Group Policies may be the way to go). You will also need to move all the contents of your old My Documents to your new My Documents.

Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.