Ok so I have a job of recovering a calendar that was used for an event schedule. The situation is that there was never a backup done except for using Carbonite on the C drive. I have re-installed the server with the same server name and domain. I tried stopping the mssqlsharepoint service and over-righting the two DB files (STS_1.mdf and STS_1_log.LDF) and each one individually each time stopping and restarting the service. Now I knew before I started that this had a slim chance of working but I had to try because everything else i could find involved backing up before restoring and this just wasn't done.
Please someone help it is driving me mad I tell you MADDDDDD.
ps i am not the genius that set this up just the fool tasked to clean up the mess. :-)