Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a social network with 100,000 users. I allow users to upload photos and videos now I feel like it is becoming too much for my dedicated server. Should I get another dedicated server? A content delivery network? A cloud storage like amazon ec2? Please help me as I am really confused on this one. I am mainly a programmer and not an expert on these decisions.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by jscott, Wesley, Iain Apr 12 '12 at 18:58

Questions on Server Fault are expected to relate to server, networking, or related infrastructure administration within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Get an expert! Always the best solution. – Joel E Salas Apr 12 '12 at 18:56
How can you get to 100k users and not have a clue how to scale your infrastructure? – MDMarra Apr 12 '12 at 19:01
@MDMarra Facebook-Killer! – Chris S Apr 12 '12 at 19:10

Yes, remove it from the web server and store it on another device. Store it on a ZFS volume and utilize its deduplication features so that you're not using up expensive storage and you also have a robust, error resistant filesystem.

Yes, you can use Amazon / cloud storage. Nothing "wrong" with that, but there is an expense to that solution that will become more expensive than doing it yourself at a certain point. Where is that point? You have to graph and monitor use over time to figure out your sweet spot. You are graphing and monitoring all of your usage metrics, right?

How do you do this whole project? You seriously need to hire a professional systems administrator / engineer to design and implement this. Do your users a favor and don't risk their data.

share|improve this answer
Yup - Hire or contract a sysadmin/architect, or be prepared to become one. – mfinni Apr 12 '12 at 18:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.