We are a small company and we will need to transfer rather large amounts of data (10GB+ each time) between Europe and China in the near future.
As many may have experienced, Internet connections to or from China can be rather unreliable and slow at times without any apparent reason. For example, while sending data to China via FTP generally works well, it can be painfully slow in the other direction.
Currently, we are investigating new ways to have high transfer rates in both directions. So far we have tried:
- FTP (see above)
- FTP over VPN services (generally slower than direct connections)
- F2F (like Retroshare or Freenet - slow!!)
- Aspera (fast but expensive!)
- BitTorrent (unreachable end nodes, b/c of firewalls which we must not configure)
We would like to try:
- Cloud storage (e.g. Amazon S3, Google Storage) - are those services always and reliably reachable from inside China?
- Point-to-Point VPN (currently not possible, b/c of the network, see above)
I'd be especially grateful to hear from people who have already dealt with this kind of problem before.