As I am looking for more information for my final exam I was wondering how the process of authenticating Windows users works.
In my own imagination it could possibly go like this:
- user enters login information on his windows machine
- machines passes credentials to PDC
- PDC asks the active directory
- AD matches entry with it's database
- AD tells PDC --> O.K.
- PDC tells windows machine --> O.K.
- windows machine logs on user
But maybe the windows machine just skips the PDC and passes the request directly to the active directory service (e.g. unix machines passes authentication requests to a LDAP server...)?
Does anybody know exatly how this works?