I am looking at different SAN solutions (Starwind, Lefthand, OpenFiler, OpenSolaris, etc.) for my small office and I understand that there are many virtual SAN appliance (VSA) solutions which can be used with ESXi.
Does anyone use it in a mission critical environment?
Let's see if I got it right:
In order for the SAN VM to "see" the harddisks, ESXi would have to "see" it first right? I'm assuming you would have to install the SAN VM on a local datastore, AND allocate space on a local datastore for the SAN VM, something like this:
- USB boot ESXi
- RAID card with local disk array A (For OS)
- RAID card with local disk array B (For SAN)
- Install SAN VM on local disk array A
- Use local disk array B as SAN datastore
- Share SAN datasore with other ESXi machines
Are there advantages to this kind of setup? It seems a little overcomplicated to set it up this way, isn't it? How does this support HA?