Im getting the same old "Unable to read output" message from this NRPE test. I can run other tests on this machine and I can su - nagios -c "<path to check_aacraid>" when running locally and it works.
Looking at /var/log/messages shows that the process is opened and started - it just doesn't seem to give back any message(s) that NRPE can digest.
What else can I use to debug this? I've set debug = 1 in "nrpe.cfg" and I have nagios set in sudo as NOPASSWD:ALL. (yes, its a big security hole.. I'm getting desperate to make this work)
Both systems (nagios server and NRPE client) are CentOS 6.2.
to test from the Nagios server I've been using a cmdline:
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H <IP of nrpe machine> -c check_aacraid
This works ok if I try "check_users" or "check_total_procs" (defaults that come with NRPE installation). It also works if I rename one of these commands to "stuff" and pass that with the -c to "check_nrpe". This leads me to believe that the issue isn't server-side nagios.
On the client side, the only change I've made to NRPE.CFG (outside of testing - see above) is to add a line:
Otherwise everything is default.
I can execute this command when logged in as 'nagios' and also via 'su - nagios -c "cmd"'.