Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What I mean is, I have my clients point their A-Records to an IP address of mine for hosting purposes. Then, when I decide to move data centers, I have to make all of them point their A-Records to a new IP address. I would like to mitigate the risk of this happening by having them point their A-Records to an IP address A that some how routes to whatever IP address B that I want to, so I can easily fail over from one data center to another, or change data centers for whatever reason. Is this possible?

share|improve this question
Why not just have them point their A Records to an A record you control. It'd actually have to be something like a cname record, then you can just change your a record and they wont have to do anything. – ErnieTheGeek May 4 '12 at 18:18
@ErnieTheGeek - can you explain what you mean by an "A record you control". – orokusaki May 4 '12 at 18:20
Basically what becoming wisest is describing to you. – ErnieTheGeek May 4 '12 at 18:49
up vote 8 down vote accepted

There are a few options.

  • Have them use CNAMES instead, so you control the final A record lookup.
  • Manage DNS for them or have access to their DNS management portal, so you can make such changes.
  • Unlikely, but get your own IP block, so when you migrate to DC B, you can move your entire range there.
  • If its just websites, perhaps leave a reverse proxy at DC A, that knows to look for the stuff at DC B.
share|improve this answer
They will be using CNAMEs for www, but that doesn't help me with root requests to their domains (e.g., or does it? – orokusaki May 4 '12 at 18:21
No, you need an A record for the naked domain name, e.g., Some DNS providers have a concept of DNS forwarding for naked domain names (i.e., in their control panel you say forwards to, and they will poll the A record for, and present that IP as the A record for, so you get some redirection, but it may not help in your case. – cjc May 4 '12 at 18:27
@cjc - thank you. And, darn it! – orokusaki May 4 '12 at 18:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.