Sometimes when I'm uploading a large number of small files via FTP, some of the files' contents will be replaced with FTP control messages. For example, after uploading a website I'll notice that an image isn't displaying. When I examine the image on the server, I find that its contents have been replaced with something like
Response: 125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting. Response: 226 Transfer complete. Status: Directory listing successful
It's very difficult to reproduce. Any corrupted files that I notice, I can usually just retransfer them. If I retransfer the whole site, maybe different files will be corrupted, maybe none at all.
This problem has been plaguing me for several years, and in that time I've replaced my computer (twice), my router, my cable modem, and I've moved halfway accross the country. I haven't had the problem recently, but that's probably only because I've learned ways of avoiding it, like zipping everything up before transferring it. I use FileZilla, by the way.
I discribed the problem to one of my web hosts once. They'd never heard of anything like it, didn't have a clue. I would love to know what's been going on. As it is, I'm very leery about using FTP for anything more than a handful of files.