Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm talking about the 3.5" floppy drive. I did some research but could not come up with the proper name. What I know is that it uses a ribbon cable with a 34-pin variant of the 40-pin IDE, but it's not called an IDE? The term IDE seems to always refer to the 40-pin so I'm a bit confused.

If I posted this in the wrong site, please refer me to the correct one.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Zoredache, Ward, ewwhite, Khaled, MDMarra May 24 '12 at 23:37

Questions on Server Fault are expected to relate to server, networking, or related infrastructure administration within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Everyone I know always called them "floppy drive cables" to distinguish them from the wider hard drive cables. – Ward May 18 '12 at 23:16
@people-who-closed-my-queestion: How is my question not related to servers? Also, if you're closing, would you kindly refer me to the site I'm suppose to use? – Err May 25 '12 at 3:53
up vote 4 down vote accepted

it looks like but actually not an IDE cable. it is described in detail here:

I still have one if you really need it :-)

thanks to Chris McKeown for pointing out my mistake.

share|improve this answer
Forgive me if I've missed something, but that link is referring to an IDC (insulation displacement connnector) cable, rather than an IDE cable specifically. Although an IDE cable is also an IDC cable, IDE refers to the fact that the drive controller hardware is on the drive itself rather than on the host system, not how the cable is physically constructed. – Chris McKeown May 18 '12 at 23:11
um, i think you are right. i have seen the floppy cables referred to as EIDE cable so assumed that they are IDE, which I thought is just an interface specification. this link makes the distinction clearer: – johnshen64 May 18 '12 at 23:25
Thanks, john. However, not even that article says that it is an IDE but I'm gonna go with Chris' definition of the word IDE and simply call it a 34-pin IDE instead of simply IDE. – Err May 18 '12 at 23:27
yeah, Chris was right. I fixed the answer based on his feedback. I just always thought it was IDE :-) – johnshen64 May 18 '12 at 23:28
I'll accept your answer, wish I could up-vote though but don't have enough rep on this stack exchange site. – Err May 18 '12 at 23:36

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.