Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing issue?

Do I need a separate Windows Server 2008 R2 licence just to run the Edge Transport Role?

It seems a bit silly that I have to purchase another full windows server licence just to run the Edge role.

Any thoughts?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by John Gardeniers, EEAA, Wesley, Ward, Khaled May 28 '12 at 7:07

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 3 down vote accepted

You need a Windows license for each Windows server. The Edge Transport role is not required, but if you choose to utilize it, you need to license the server that it runs on.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.