Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question is incredibly similar, but DIFFERENT. so before you vtc, please hear me out.

I have my wireless router [router1] connected to my ISP.
I have a wireless network being broadcast from router1 through my house.
I have a computer in my living room [failbox] that does NOT have wireless connectivity.
I want to use a SECOND wireless router [router2], to 'catch' the network broadcasted by router1.
Router2 will then (hopefully) extend the network BY WIRE to failbox

how can I do this?

[Edit - To clarify any questions, the distance is too great for me to connect the routers by wire. The two routers have to be able to communicate with each-other by wireless only]

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by MDMarra, Iain Jun 3 '12 at 13:36

Questions on Server Fault are expected to relate to server, networking, or related infrastructure administration within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

why downvotes? help me out here people .if the question has been answered or is easily solvable point me in the right direction. I'm extremely uneducated in the category of networking. – Ender Jun 3 '12 at 13:36
Welcome to Server Fault! Home networking questions are off topic for serverfault. It may be on topic for Superuser but check their faq and search their site before asking. – Iain Jun 3 '12 at 13:36
@Lain i read the faq. i fail to see how this is offtopic – Ender Jun 3 '12 at 13:37
This is actually quite a bit off-topic, because looks a lot more like a home/user question, while this site is dedicated to professional system/network administration. – Massimo Jun 3 '12 at 13:37
You're administering a computer in your living room named failbox in a professional capacity? – MDMarra Jun 3 '12 at 13:37

Yes, it's called a wireless bridge. Get an AP that supports being in bridged mode.

Also, this is off-topic. Take a minute to read the FAQ for the site that you are on before you post in the future.

share|improve this answer

What you would need is a so-called "ad-hoc" wireless configuration, where two devices talk between themselves without a central access point to bind to; many wireless adapters support this, as this is typically used when you don't have an access point; some routers/APs support it too, so you maybe can configure the two routers to participate in the same wirelss network; but this strongly depends on those routers' features and configuration.

Also, if one of the routers can be configured as a wireless client, instead of acting as an access point, you could have it connect to the other one's network and achieve the same result. Again, whether this is actually doable depends on the specific routers we are talking about.

share|improve this answer

Depends on what wifi capabilities router2 has. If it can be turned into a wireless bridge, its possible, but most don't support this feature.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.