I would like to monitor my email service installed on Server A, from end to end. Not just small pieces (ping / SMTP / POP3 / load / ...) but closer to the user behavior.
I was thinking of a script installed on a server B:
- B sends an e-mail to A
- A sends an automatic reply to B
- B knows that the mail service works well.
- This test B restarts every 30 minutes.
- If B has not received responses, it sends an alert message.
- B could also control round-trip propagation of e-mails.
But maybe there is better?