Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am currently reading a lot literature about data centers. I often read the term "volume server" which seem to be some kind of standard server that we can rent today.

However, I am not really sure if I know what exactly is referred to and I would be happy if someone could point out.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Volume servers are normally referred to as 1 Server = 1 Role. Low Volume is normally 1 Server = Many Roles (Normally a Virtual Server). The term is normally used in design of Datacentre’s to the amount of rack space you would need to complete a function and as a single server performing 1 role takes up more space and power than a Low volume server taking circa the same amount of power but performing more roles these are the more welcomed in most modern datacentre designs.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.