If I run dig against a hostname, I get the according cname, however I get an NXDOMAIN error (non existent domain). if I run dig against the cname I got, I can resolve it to an IP address successfully. It is reproduceable. On the system I am currently on it is always the case, on other systems it sometimes works and sometimes not, and on other systems it seems to work all the time.
If I run using a nameserver I specify (for example google's public nameserver) I can successfully resolve the hostname.
I would just blame the local system, but it seems I am not having the only one problems.
The 2nd domain (unrestrict.me) is hosted on amazon route 53 nameservers. The 1st one on another dns server which has proven to be fully functional and reliable over the years.
I once switched with the other domain to amazon dns as well, everything seemed to work, also various dns health check tests reported fine, however i received a lot of support tickets that dns resolution would not work.
Is amazon just "bad" or am I doing something wrong?
I did not tamper with the domain in any way on the local system (in case of caching or making a custom dns view or whatever...)
joe@joe:~$ dig scorpion.premiumize.me ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> scorpion.premiumize.me ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 10222 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;scorpion.premiumize.me. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION: scorpion.premiumize.me. 180 IN CNAME alpha.nue.scorpion.unrestrict.me. ;; Query time: 28 msec ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1) ;; WHEN: Mon Jun 18 10:28:39 2012 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 84 joe@joe:~$ dig alpha.nue.scorpion.unrestrict.me ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> alpha.nue.scorpion.unrestrict.me ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 25381 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;alpha.nue.scorpion.unrestrict.me. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION: alpha.nue.scorpion.unrestrict.me. 300 IN A 188.8.131.52 ;; Query time: 48 msec ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1) ;; WHEN: Mon Jun 18 10:28:47 2012 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 66 joe@joe:~$