Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've currently got 12 notebooks, HP ProBook 4535s, that are being used by a local government group for board meetings. These are used only for the board members during the board meetings and only to display the content off of their intranet web servers. So they're pulled out of their closet, setup, and put back into their closet after use.

What I'm trying to reverse engineer is something to easily mount the power packs under the conference room table. I need to be able to have someone plug these in, secure the power packs, and disassemble the whole mess relatively easily. The table already has a dozen holes in it for dropping the power cables through and we've currently got power mounted under the table, what I'm looking for is something like this:

enter image description here

I've seen these kinds of things around over the years used for mounting power packs in data closets. I have no idea what the heck the actual term for it would be.

So the actual question: What the heck is that thing called and where can I buy a dozen? Alternative answers I wouldn't mind seeing: How the heck can I do this differently?


locked by HopelessN00b Feb 16 '15 at 15:21

This question exists because it has historical significance, but it is not considered a good, on-topic question for this site, so please do not use it as evidence that you can ask similar questions here. This question and its answers are frozen and cannot be changed. More info: help center.

closed as off-topic by HopelessN00b Feb 16 '15 at 15:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Is there some reason why you could just put velcro on the power supplies and underside of the table? Or perhaps just put some long velcro cable ties underneath the table? – Zoredache Jun 20 '12 at 17:30
@Zoredache - Other than the fact that I didn't think No reason I can think of. I'll probably be recommending that if I cant find out what these other things are. Thanks! – ErnieTheGeek Jun 20 '12 at 17:36
If you do go with velcro, your one tricky part will be finding velcro that will stay stuck to the power supply. The heat may weaken the glue used on the back of some types of velcro. – Zoredache Jun 20 '12 at 17:40
We've mounted them with "Dual Lock" which is like velcro but better. The black kind is really strong and the white is almost un-removable. – tladuke Jun 20 '12 at 18:04
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Take a look at these guys:

They're wire cages that you mount to the bottom of the table. you can slap the power supplies in there and use the cable management part to keep excess cordage out of the way.

Apparently these guys are just a few blocks away from me, local product ftw. – ErnieTheGeek Jun 21 '12 at 20:45
That's always nice, especially when it's a company that's home-grown like that. – Marcus_33 Jun 22 '12 at 14:26

Zoredache's suggestion of just using velcro cable ties is good, screw some strips of velcro (use washers so the screws don't tear through the velcro) to the underside of the table.

If it was me, I'd be inclined to go for something more permanent. Get a second power supply for each laptop and mount them under the table with something like screw mount cable ties.

Added: If you do an image search for "u bracket" "c bracket" or "j bracket" some of the resulting metal or plastic brackets might also be workable - you'd basically be making small shelves under the table to put the power supplies on.

I made a pair of brackets for a battery charger to allow me to wall mount it, made out of 2 angle brackets for shelves, bent over at the end to make them an uneven U shape, nothing more needed than molegrips and a hammer ;) – Tom O'Connor Jun 20 '12 at 18:36

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.