Situation: server running RHEL, Apache, etc with mod_proxy. Was working fine up to a recent restart. Now is throwing "(111)Connection refused: proxy: HTTP: attempt to connect to <IP>:8000 (address.com) failed".
1) the server it is trying to proxy to is itself - but on port 8000
2) this was working fine prior to restarting
3) there is no evidence of changes to httpd.conf or iptables prior to restart
Im not v familiar with mod_proxy so there are several questions:
1) does it require that iptables have port 8000 open? 'nmap -P0 server -p 8000' shows this port is closed. No evidence that this port has ever been specifically opened.
2) does it require that httpd.conf have 'Listen 8000'? It's not there.
So im puzzled as to how to debug this. Is this an iptables issue? or an httpd.conf issue? I tried adding the 'Listen 8000' directive but it didn't fix the problem. And since the httpd.conf file hadn't been edited in years Im assuming this line was never there.
Running RHEL AS Release 3 (Taroon Update 9) - no SELinux to deal with.