I'm booting one virtualbox VM from another virtualbox VM (with cobbler) over PXE. Both machines have 2 adapters: 1) external network and 2) host-only network.
The "client" VM successfully boots into the installer over PXE (using the host-only network adapter), but then the installer doesn't even try to download the preseed file (according to server logs) or get an IP address (again according to server logs - which do show the TFTP requests before).
I drop into a shell and see that:
- "ip a" shows only the loopback adapter
- Reading dmesg shows that apparently no adapters have been found
- lsmod seems to show no signs of network adapter modules either
- lspci does show both network controllers.
- There are essentially no drivers in /lib/modules/...../kernel/drivers/net (probably this is the reason?)
How do I make the installer see my network adapters, or at least how do I find the cause of this problem?
Here's the PXE menu entry:
default linux prompt 0 timeout 1 label linux kernel /images/ubuntu-10.04-server-x86_64/vmlinuz ipappend 2 append initrd=/images/ubuntu-10.04-server-x86_64/initrd.gz locale= interface=auto text root=/dev/sda1 priority=critical auto url=http://192.168.56.101/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/pierrot hostname=pierrot domain=local.lan suite=lucid