I recently migrated a Win2003 Small Business Server from a physical machine to a VM. It seemed to be working great for one day, until it mysteriously stopped authenticating Remote Desktop sessions to workstations and servers. The Administrator domain account can log on, but other accounts cannot.
When we try to Remote Desktop to a workstation a domain account, we get this error:
An authentication error has occurred (Code: 0x80090304).
When we try to Remote Desktop to a Windows 2008 Terminal Server, we get this error:
The credentials that were used to connect to SERVERNAME did not work. Please enter new credentials.
I haven't changed anything since the other day when everything seemed to be working right after the migration. I've entered both of these error messages into Google and tried following whatever troubleshooting steps I could find on the first page of results, but haven't had any success thus far in resolving the problem. I also tried reverting the SBS VM to a snapshot that I took after converting it and reconfiguring the network (setting the static IP as appropriate and deleting the now-unneeded "Internet" network adapter since the server was no longer functioning as a router), and that didn't seem to help, either.