If you want to run Apache 2.2/PHP 5.3 on Windows, you'll need the VC9 build, not the version from apache.org. You'll also need the thread safe VC9 build of PHP. This isn't as straightforward as it used to be! So, from the start:
- Download httpd-2.2.22-win32-ssl_0.9.8.zip from http://www.apachelounge.com/download/
- Copy Apache2 folder from httpd-2.2.22-win32-ssl_0.9.8.zip to C:/
- Open C:/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf in Notepad. Add:
LoadModule php5_module "C:/Program Files (x86)/PHP/php5apache2_2.dll"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
PHPIniDir "C:/Program Files (x86)/PHP/"
- Create a shortcut of C:/Apache2/bin/ApacheMonitor.exe in your startup folder.
- Download PHP 5.3 (5.3.14) VC9 x86 thread safe Zip from http://windows.php.net/download/
- Copy all from php-5.3.13-Win32-VC9-x86.zip to C:/Program Files (x86)/PHP
- Copy C:/Program Files (x86)/PHP/php.ini-development to C:/Program Files (x86)/PHP/php.ini
- Uncomment extension_dir = "./ext" in php.ini
From Windows 7 start menu, search for 'run', select the 'run' app, and paste in:
"C:/Apache2/bin/httpd.exe" -k install
Then go to Control panel > All control panel items > Administrative tools > Services > Apache2.2: Start
Add the path to PHP to the end of your Path system variables in My computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Environmental variables
Then run ApacheMonitor.exe, restart Apache2, and you should be good to go.