Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Like when you go to starbucks the first thing you see if you go to their wifi is "Welcome to starbucks, please accept our terms". Or also at most airports, it makes it impossible to surf until you accept their terms.

Furthermore, what is this called? Is it possible to order routers with this pre-loaded on it, and how would I go about this?

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by womble, Chopper3, Zoredache, mgorven, Shane Madden Jul 21 '12 at 22:47

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The term for what you want is "captive portal". You can purchase devices that'll do it out of the box, for quite eye-watering amounts of money, or build your own with various Linux distributions specifically designed for such things.

share|improve this answer
Can you expand on an example of the cost? I would need a lot of them,and not something I would want to package and do up myself for each one. – Tallboy Jul 21 '12 at 13:46
And my final question is, is it possible to perhaps buy a router and 3rd party software and get the same effect, or does the router itself need to be modified by someone experienced first? – Tallboy Jul 21 '12 at 13:47
pretty sure DDWRT has a flavor for this, take a look into that. – SpacemanSpiff Jul 21 '12 at 13:48
@Tallboy: I understand that you may not have known the correct terminology for the technology you want but having found out what it is couldn't you do a bit of research yourself ? – Iain Jul 21 '12 at 13:58
If you didn't understand anything you were reading about captive portals, you may want to hire a consultant who does. Otherwise you're in WAY over your head with the kind of IT knowledge you sound like you'd need if you're deploying this in many sites. – Bart Silverstrim Jul 21 '12 at 14:34

It's called a captive portal. There are many open source and free solutions available.

Cisco has some solutions as well, they are not cheap.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.