I intend to virtualise my companies 4 servers into one server. Currently we have:
• Exchange 2010 Server – 50 user’s low usage. 30 – 40 messages per day.
• SQL 2008 - 20 Dynamic Nav users.
• File Server – 40 users connecting occasionally throughout the day.
• Domain Controller
The proposed hardware is as follows:
• 2 x Intel Xeon Processor X5690 (3.46 GHz, Six Core, 12MB cache)
• 4 x 450 GB Seagate Cheetah 15K.7 (16 MB cache/15,000 rpm/SAS 6Gb/s)
• 48 GB DDR3-RAM (12x Kingston DIMM 4 GB PC3-10600 ECC Reg)
• QNAP TS 790 Pro (Dual core i3 Processor, 2GB RAM, 12TB, RAID6) X2
The plan is to configure the disks in the server as RAID10 for better I/O performance for exchange 2010.
The Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008 database and logs will be stored on the NAS (I plan to use iSCSI to connect the Virtual Servers to the NAS box.
I then plan to use my old server as a redundant server to use the VMware HA feature. I have an identical NAS box that will be setup as a replica of the production NAS box.
Will my proposed server have enough resources to do the job for box SQL and Exchange? Is there anything I’m overlooking? Any setup suggestions would be most welcome.