I know its always better to buy new hardware, but i've got what I think is a deal on a dell poweredge 1950 and am considering it for hosting a single website and database. Please excuse my lack of "lingo" as I am new to this whole server thing. My needs are as follows:
- Host a single website with max 5000 concurrent users at any given time.
- Both the web server and database will be on the same server.
- Website is not very graphical or video oriented, it is a web application that mostly deals with queries on a database.
- Would like to run ubuntu server.
The specs of the poweredge are:
- 2X 2.5 ghz quad core processors
- 16 gb of ram
- 2X 450 GB 15k hdd's
- Broadcom NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NIC x2
Does this server seem sufficient for my needs or should I spend an extra couple thousand and go with something brand new? Price I would be paying for this server would be $650, but I don't want the money to be the only factor. If this server is plenty sufficient for my needs than it is something I will go for, i'm just a little confused as to what and how much I actually need.