Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
What is reverse DNS?

Traceroute an IP and the last entry gives me the host the IP resolved to. How do I change that?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by EEAA, MikeyB, John Gardeniers, Bart De Vos, voretaq7 Aug 13 '12 at 15:30

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Is it LAN or WAN IP? Do you have control of? – quanta Aug 13 '12 at 3:59
Simple, just traceroute a different IP address. – John Gardeniers Aug 13 '12 at 5:20

You need to change the PTR record for that IP. If this is an RFC1918 IP block or is a net block allocated or SWIPed to you, then you can do this yourself. If not, then you'll need to contact your ISP or whomever owns that netblock.

share|improve this answer
I just learned this after posting the question. I have some servers with and I see they have an option to update my RDNS. I looked it up and that's exactly it! Thanks again! – Aco Strkalj Aug 13 '12 at 4:02

You change the result of the reverse lookup by changing the PTR record in the reverse lookup zone - the owner of the IP range controls where that record's delegated to.

If you have access to the zone for that IP range, then change it there. If you don't, ask your ISP.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.