Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does anyone known of a source for open back, low voltage, old work, electrical boxes that are intended to be installed through the Sheetrock and mount to studs?

I've found boxes for old construction like this that mount on the Sheetrock and for new construction like this and this that mount to the studs.

What I have is an existing building where I need to install Ethernet cable inside the walls without ripping out all the Sheetrock. I'm not to thrilled with the Sheetrock mounted boxes and know that with some effort a box can be mounted on the studs (I've seen it done).

share|improve this question
Can you explain a bit more about your application and the problem you need solved? Also what "old work" means? I've wired many offices/homes with Ethernet, so may know what you are talking about in different terms. – Adam Brand Jul 16 '09 at 17:22
@AdamB: "Old work" means "retrofit". – Dennis Williamson Jul 16 '09 at 21:55
@AdamB: Or remodel. – BCS Jul 16 '09 at 23:13
Ummm, I'm pretty sure old work box effectively means mount to sheetrock; new work effectively means mount to stud... Why can't you use new work boxes? And what's wrong with mounting the sheetrock? – derobert Jul 17 '09 at 4:45
up vote 1 down vote accepted

This type is a little deeper than the example that you gave and might accommodate having a couple of holes drilled in one side and then driving screws through them into a stud.

Low voltage old-work box

share|improve this answer
I was keeping that kind of solution in mind as a back up. (+1) But once I'm modding stuff, I can get a standard 120V box and run it thorough a table saw for about $0.75 a piece. – BCS Jul 16 '09 at 23:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.