I need to deploy PHP and Python code and the appropriate environment (web server, db server) to remote Windows systems, and I don't know what toolchain would be the equivalent to
bash and the like.
So, basically, what I need to be able to do is the following:
- access remote Windows with the appropriate privileges in a secure manner, like I routinely do with
ssh(I don't even know whether that would be a text or graphic interface on Windows).
- remotely install software: Apache or IIS, MySQL or Postgres, Python or PHP
- copy files from remote (the application we're deploying)
- remotely configure the machine to run regular tasks (e. g. checking for updates to the application)
- automate tasks like downloading files from a designated place
The main question is probably how I get onto the machine securely in the first place, and then the rest is general Windows admin knowledge, which probably is too broad a scope to fit into one question.
I have years of experience with maintaining Linux boxes and I have used tools of varying sophistication on those, ranging from plain
scping of PHP files to deployment of Java application containers and even full VMs with Vagrant.
On Windows, I'm a complete noob, and I don't even know where to start. I have installed Apache, MySQL , PHP on a desktop machine maybe twice in my life, that's about it.
Bonus points for things that work from a Linux machine at my end, but I could run a VM and do everything from there.