We have very limited options for our first server in our small office and none of them look good. We are buying one HP Proliant ML350 G5. Per the HP power calculator with our system specs, we're looking at 1500-1750 BTUs/hr.
Our options for installation are:
- Unventilated closet that currently has modem / router
- Concern with this is heat generated by the server.
- Closet is 8' wide x 3' deep x 10' tall
- This is my preferred option
- In the (mostly) climate-controlled office space
- Server could go under a desk or something
- Concern here is noise for the staff
- Non climate-controlled warehouse
- Concern with this is ambient temperature.
- We have winter nights in the 30s, summer days as hot as 115
- This seems out of the question due to the summer heat
We will not likely grow past this one server (just more VMs running on it) but may add a micro NAS in the future. For Option 1, is one 1500 BTU / hr box going to be ok in the closet? Until I hear the server plugged in and running, I have no idea if Option 2 is feasible.