I'm having trouble with ESXi backup/restore performance.
- VMWare ESXi 5.0.0 on a HP ProLiant DL 360 G6, runnnig RAID 5 on a P410 SmartArray as SAS
- QNAP Nas (QNAP TS-809U-RP NAS 8 bays 4USB) Connected over Gigabit
I try to copy a 200 GB file from the NAS to the Datastore. Currently, it will take 10 hours, so the speed is about 5 MB/s. This is very slow and I'm currently trying to figure out why it is this slow.
- I ran esxtop on my ESXi machine, it shows mainly an idle process,
- I ran the QNAP system resource monitor, it shows bandwith usage of +- 10 MB/s, no real CPU usage..
- So it seems the ESXi server is limiting the transfer speeds somehow. Another hint for this is that the performance -> disk graph stays almost exactly on 15MB/s
What is the preferred way to find out what is limiting the speeds?
I copy the file through the UI (vSphere Client), right click the datastore, click 'copy', and in the other datastore 'paste'